Finally, Whatsapp has launched its UPI-based payment system in India for all the users. The Facebook-owned messaging app tested this feature in 2018, and now finally, it got approved by the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI). WhatsApp Pay is available for both Android and iOS users in India.
WhatsApp Pay Live in India, Check out How to use WhatsApp Pay
On Thursday, the National Payments Corporation of India gave approval for the app to launch in India. In the first section, NPCI has given permission of 20 million users for Whatsapp Pay. However, Indian Whatsapp users are around 400 million.
Mark Zuckerberg, the CEO and Co-founder of Facebook said,
“We’ve been working on this with the National Payments Corporation of India, who oversee everything to make sure it’s secure and reliable. And we’ve built it using India’s Unified Payments Interface, which makes it easy for anyone to instantly accept payments across different apps — and for companies to provide people with great services.”
He added, “With UPI, India has created something truly special and is opening up a world of opportunities for micro and small businesses that are the backbone of the Indian economy. India is the first country to do anything like this. I’m glad we were able to support this effort and work together to help achieve a more digital India. I want to thank all our partners who’ve made this possible”.
WhatsApp Pay is available in ten different languages. The company has done a partnership with five leading banks HDFC Bank, ICICI Bank, Axis Bank, State Bank Of India, and Jio Payments Bank. To use WhatsApp Pay, the users must have a bank account and a debit card of a supported bank.
Now, let us check out how to use WhatsApp Pay.
How to use WhatsApp Pay?
As the app is now finally available for all the Indian users, let us check out how to use it. Follow the steps to use Whatsapp Pay:
- First of all, you need to update your Whatsapp app from the Play Store.
- After you have updated the app, you will get the Payment feature.
- Now, open Whatsapp on your device and open the chat window.
- Click on the three vertical dots, which is at the top right corner.
- In the list, you will see the Payment option.
- Click on it.
- A Payment window will be open; there click on Add new payments method.
- Click on Accept and continue.
- A new window will open, which has a list of banks that are supported by Whatsapp Pay.
- Select the bank with which you have an account and verify it by using your phone number. (Make sure your number is the same which you have registered in the bank).
- Click on allow, and Whatsapp will verify your account.
- Once you enter the number, it will verify with the bank and set up a payment.
- Click on done and check your Payment page.
How to send money on WhatsApp Pay?
Yes, you can now send and receive money on Whatsapp. Let us check out how to do it.
- Open the Whatsapp app.
- Select the contact to which you want to send money
- Open the chat window of that contact.
- Click on the Clip icon.
- Select rupee icon
- Enter the amount you want to send. You can also add a note if you want or else leave it.
- Now, enter your UPI PIN.
- The transaction will be in the process; wait till you get a confirmation message.
- You will see a confirmation message on your chat window.